RE: TC Secondary Voltage vs Spark Length (was - 12 MV 100 years ago)

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

John F. -

The reason I used 120 BPS is because that is the BPS where most of the test
data is presently available. There is very little data for other BPS. When
more data is available with other BPS then other graphs can be made. It
appears that several coilers are researching the effect of BPS on spark
length so it may be possible to make new graphs in the near future.

The problem with making spark length graphs for Tesla coils is that so many
variables are involved. This means that a particular graph can represent
only a small group of TCs. The secondary voltage also presents problems
because it cannot be accurately measured. Connecting any instrumentation to
the secondary will load the circuit enough to make the measurement
inaccurate. This voltage therefore has to be estimated using other
information. This brings in more variables which would require more graphs.

What you are talking about (other BPS) requires much more TC testing to
provide enough data for making the proper graphs and this will take many
years before this data becomes available.

John Couture