Re: Spark Gap VI Scope Capture

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

HI all,

On 21 May 2003, at 7:55, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

 > At 18:29 20/05/03 -0600, you wrote:
 > >Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 > >

 > >I pulled out the "fabulous" Jennings vacuum capacitor divider HV probe and
 > >go this:
 > >
 > >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2003-05-20-03.jpg
 > >
 > >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2003-05-20-04.jpg
 > >
 > >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2003-05-20-05.CSV
 > >
 > >A ton of odd noise now (not sure what is "true"...)  But look how straight
 > >the average voltage level is!!!
 > >
 > >So I pulled out the Terry's plane wave antenna and pointed it the the
 > >probe top:
 > >
 > >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2003-05-20-06.jpg
 > >
 > >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2003-05-20-06.jpg
 > >
 > >http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2003-05-20-08.CSV
 > >
 > >Still NOT seeing that average voltage dip...
 >
 > Surely this is no surprise given that the capacitor divider probe and plane
 > wave antenna are both AC coupled devices and won't pass the low-frequency
 > component? Maybe the voltage dip is a real phenomenon?
 >
 > Steve C.

I have observed such offsets in the output of a range of coils using
a scope antenna probe positioned a very safe distance from the
secondary.

Malcolm