Circular Marx generator with rotary gap?

Original poster: "Ramon van der Hilst by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <enqrypzion-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hey all,

i haven't posted in a while to the list. I have been busy on HV subjects
though and I'm also developing (in my head ;), though I have made a working
Tesla Coil, I'll post pictures sometime) some ideas concerning tesla coils
and marx generators. There's one I would already like to share with you, as
you all probably are way more able to test it than I am (student ;) ). This
is the following:

How about making a marx generator, with all the stages in the same
electrical configuration, but with all the stages bent towards eachother in
a circle. In such a way, that all the spark gaps are located INside the
circle.
Apart from the obvious fact that this will make the generator way more
compact, it will also allow for a rotary spark gap, for all the stages at
the same time! This could be done by adding a disc with an electrode for
every stage, that will trigger all gaps at once, by turning the disk only
360 / 2 / (number of stages) degrees. (360 / 2 because the electrodes start
in between two spark gaps..) I think this will make discharge times
significantly shorter provided that the placing of the electrodes on the
disc is precise (or one or more gaps won't fire...). Above that it will
also give full control over the discharging of all caps/gaps.

I look forward to hear what you think of this proposed design and maybe
even see a (working! ;) ) version some day! If you would like me to make a
schematic or sketch to clarify the design, please ask.

Ramon van der Hilst
Coiling in Holland