Re: mini coil primary coupling ?

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun.COM>

Antonio,
         I was starting to wonder if ETesla6 had problems until I read your
post. My primary F-res is 158 KHz, and ETesla6 predicts a secondary F-res
of 204 KHz, when I have everything tuned for "best" (subjective...) sparks.
I was expecting the F-res's to be equal, but are you saying that, in isolation,
the primary and secondary should be tuned to different frequencies, in
a:b ratio where typically a = b-1.

In my case these Fs are pretty close to 5:4 ratio, and then we get desired
K = 0.2195 from your formula, but in reality my K (according to ACMI) is
around 0.1

My precise questions are:
1. should the primary and secondary be tuned (separately, in isolation) to
    the same frequency,
    and adjust the K (by varying coil proximity) to get a K of 0.180,
    and then expect to observe at run-time the coils oscillating at the 5:6
    ratio,
-or-???
2. should the primary and secondary be tuned (separately, in isolation) to
    be in the ratio of 5:6 (and if so, is it sec=5 and pri=6, or vice-versa),
    and adjust the K (by varying coil proximity) to get a K of 0.180,
    and then expect to observe at run-time the coils oscillating at the 5:6
    ratio they were tuned for

3. of the a, b, which is the primary and which is the secondary. if the
    "first notch" is always at (b/2) then b has to be even, and we only
    have 5:6, 7:8, 9:10,... modes available (not 6:7, 8:9,...). Am I
    understanding this correctly?

Since I don't have an O-scope, it would be nice to have theory predict what
to build, and then have it come out working (or to put it another way,
experimenting is nice, but after a while you want to understand why it
works the way it does).

thanks,
Pete Lawrence.

 >Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>