Re: Spark Gap VI Scope Capture

Once I low pass filtered/decimated the data, it looks like V and I line up
quite nicely.  The V transients are right at the I zero crossings.

The overall baseline shift during the pulse is interesting.  I wonder if
it's just representative of some AC coupling.  Essentially you've got
3000V, then zero volts, (ignoring the LC ringing and transients)and maybe
the voltage probe system is a bit overcompensated so you're getting
negative overshoot.
The overshoot looks like about 10%, peak.

The little spikes at the beginning of each conduction interval might be the
resonance of the spark gap wiring etc, that you observed in frequency
domain several years ago. The overshoot looks like about 80-100%, and it's
real fast, so it might also be a probe compensation artifact.  Very much
shorter timescale, though, than the big overshoot mentioned above.  It
could also be a termination thing. When I look at the unfiltered data, the
overshoot is a lot bigger... 500%, making me think very capacitance
coupling the edge through.

The final ringing is interesting too.. a much higher frequency (1 MHz?)
than the other stuff. Perhaps a parasitic in the gap circuit after it has
finally quenched.