Re: 12 MV 100 years ago

Original poster: "Peter Terren by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 8:43 AM
Subject: Re: 12 MV 100 years ago

 > Some sources say that Tesla reached voltages like 12 MV
 >  using  his magnifier in Colorado Springs.

12 MV is comparable to natural lightning which is between 10 and 120 MV.
This is much less than you would expect from 1 MV giving 4 feet with a Tesla
coil due to the nature of spark propagation.
The biggest tesla coils currently at around 55 ft are about 5.5 MV.
The longest spark described at 100m (325ft) was generated by a 5 MV
generator in Siberia.
References for these statements on my website at
http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren/Tesla%20coils%20intro.htm

Peter (Tesla Downunder)