Top load smoothness matters

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

This may be old news to many, but I think it needs to be stated
occasionally for the benefit of those who may not have heard.

I was attempting to better the performance of my mini coil, by among other
things, increasing the size of the top load (toroid).  I had been using,
with good results, a 3"x6" toroid, constructed from a very smooth plastic
donut used for cushioning shipping skids, covered with aluminum tape.  The
resulting surface was very smooth and may be seen at
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/minicoil.htm.

I bought a length of corrugated aluminum duct and fashioned a (roughly,
from memory) 4" x 9" toroid.  The seam where the two ends were joined was
covered in Al tape, and a length of Al tape was applied around the equator,
in an attempt to smooth out the ridges where breakout is most likely.  But
the performance of the new toroid (and other changes) was poor.  Was it the
toroid surface or the other changes?

I went back to my original configuration with the smaller, smooth toroid,
measured the performance, then applied a small, _slightly_ crumpled piece
of Al foil to the side of the small toroid.  The edges were burnished and
taped flat and there were no features even close to the size of the
corrugated duct's ribs.  With the foil added, performance plummeted.  There
were many simultaneous smaller streamers rather than the usual few longer ones.

At least for smaller top loads, there is no question - good performance
requires a smooth top load.  I don't know how far this conclusion may be
extrapolated for larger top loads, where fabricating a smooth surface is
more costly and difficult.  I've always wondered about the skeletal top
load construction using chicken wire or welded tubing...

I tried using 1-2 layers of duct tape over the corrugated duct to smooth
out the ridges, but they still were evident after Al tape was
applied.  Anyone know of an easy way?  I once used a wood filler compound
to fill the ridges, which required a LOT of patience and sanding.  It
ultimately yielded a nice smooth surface, but it added considerable weight
and might not survive the drop test.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA