RE: HP 310a wave analyzer

I can think of a bunch of applications...
Think of a wave analyzer as a manually tuned spectrum analyzer (which is
what it is).  You can excite your coil with a square wave pulse (i.e.
Terry's TC tuner), and look for harmonics.  You could look at variations in
fRes and Q as a function of surroundings, etc.