Re: Simulation of a conventional Tesla coil

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Terry and Ken,

Don't give up on the spark gap idea just yet. You may be able to use a back
to back Zener diode as a first order approximation as a model for a
conducting spark gap. A ballpark estimate for the voltage drop across a
firing gap is of the order of 100 volts in either direction, and this
voltage drop will be pretty much independent of current flow as long as the
arc channel is open and unconstrained. A 5,000 amp discharge with a 100
volt drop would imply a dynamic gap resistance of around 20 milliohms at
peak current, and around 2 ohms at 50 amps...

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Unique Offerings - Scarce Technical Books, Coins Crushed by
Ultrastrong Magnetic Fields, and Captured Lightning Bolts!