Re: Mini Transformers - Any good for Tesla use?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > I looked inside a bug zapper once. It contained a
 > shunted, core & coil type transformer a little smaller
 > than a deck of playing cards. It was rated 4kvac at
 > (?) I forget how many ma--10 or 20 perhaps? Anyhow, a
 > pair of these in series and appropriately phased would
 > give you 8kvac, with no solid state electronics
 > required. New bug zappers can be had for as little as
 > $15 at Wal-Mart. Used ones are free at the landfill
 > and nearly free at yard sales.
 >
 > Cheers,

	Couple of things.  First, I have used a BZ transformer which Terry sent
me to power a very small coil and it worked OK.  Beautiful little
xformer!  However, it is a very high leakage reactance device and didn't
do as well as a 2600 V, 20 ma transformer I had on the shelf.  Second,
don't bet those cheap bug zappers still have 60 Hz transformers.
They're cheap enough that you could buy one and see......

Ed