RE: arcing to primary

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I'm not sure that a primary strike (or any number of them) poses any threat
to the tank cap.  If your tank cap starts out charged to 20kV, transfers
that energy to the secondary, and then following a strike manages to
achieve some higher voltage across the tank cap, then you've _created_
energy in the process, clearly impossible, a violation of conservation of
energy.

A greater hazard from primary strikes is common-mode voltage applied to the
NST secondary.  This is why safety gaps and bypass caps to ground in an NST
protection network are recommended.  And even with these measures,
common-mode noise transmitted through the NST to the mains is likely, and
this is why EMI line filters are recommended.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

 >Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>