Re: Magnetizing current in SSTCs, my previous posting

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Right...and now I send a new schematic to Terry,
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2-t-sim.pdf.  It features a 2:500 ratio (2
primary turns) and 4 drivers coupling via 4 capacitors.  Terry...that's
essentially your OLTC scheme, right?  Except I don't recall if you
resonated the primary.

Here, I've added another 10 m-ohms in series with the (perfect)
transformer.  That cost me 40 KV of output.  Every m-ohm counts in this
primary, as Terry has noted before.

I note the happy result that if I set R1's resistance to 1 meg,
simulating a failure of a driver, the other currents diminish to 290 A
rms.  The same happens when I replace V1 with a short.

Each driver must provide 420 A rms--quite do-able, I gather, using
inexpensive IGBTs.

It now occurs to me that the electronics that drives V1-V4 can have as
its input the signal from the bottom of the secondary.  Using my scheme
for that, noise in the system will start oscillations going, at the
secondary's Fr, even when the primary is somewhat mis-tuned.  Then the
final tuning can be accomplished merely by switching in or out additional
capacitors across C1, C4, C5 and C6.

Someone get onto the hardware!  Jimmy...?

Ken Herrick