Re: VERY HIGH BPS at 6kw! 240 V into the 120 V

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Terry,

Yes, this has been tried before. How high you can go before you encounter
core saturation is a function of how much design margin your transformer has.

Leave the HV side disconnected and begin increasing the applied voltage
while monitoring LV side current. At some voltage the LV side current will
begin to substantially increase, and this may also be accompanied by a loud
humming or growling noise. You'll likely hit this point somewhere  around
150-165 volts. This is the onset of saturation, and attempting to increase
the voltage much further will result mostly in heating the LV winding.

Remember that for an equivalent power at half the supply voltage, your
primary current will be twice as high. Worse, if you use the same size tank
capacitor and you are able to double the output voltage, you'd need 4X the
primary current. The combination of these effects can cause much higher LV
current draw when operated in this mode...

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Unique Offerings - Scarce Technical Books, Coins Crushed by
Ultrastrong Magnetic Fields, and Captured Lightning Bolts!