Re: Cornell dubilier caps

Original poster: "Rodney Goolsby by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jeronimo-at-bright-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: Cornell dubilier caps

 > Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

 > Rodney,
 >
 > Many people have been using the 942C20P15K caps with wonderful results;
 > this is the "geek cap".  We have both the .10uF -at- 2kVDC and .15uF -at- 2kVDC
 > values of the 942C series available for purchase from our web
 > site:  http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc/  There is a design chart for the
 > common NST setups, a construction guide, links to MMC calculators:
 > basically all the information you need to design and build an MMC.
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > Mark Broker
 > Chief Engineer, The Geek Group

Yes, I've constructed a .015 uf 20 KV cap (using .15 uf, 2 KV)  and it works
perfectly.  I was pondering whether or not to by a potential transformer
this summer and use a larger capacitor.  I was thinking the .33, .47, .56 or
.68 uf 1600V capacitors could be used to make a larger MMC (.03357 uf, 22.4
KV per string) , possibly cheaper than buying several .15 uf 2000V units and
running parallel strings.  I simply wanted to check and be sure these caps
wouldn't cause a problem. I'm not an expert, and I don't have much equipment
to do testing with, so it either works or it doesn't for me.  If someone
here recommends against something I'm not going to waist money trying it
anyway, being that I'm on a constant budget.