Re: VERY HIGH BPS at 6kw!

Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bog-at-cinci.rr-dot-com>

>10' on 7200vac? That's very interesting. Can I trouble
>you to describe your coil system--primary/secondary
>dimensions & so forth, or else provide a link to a
>description? I have a special interest in low-voltage,
>high-current systems.

snip

>hi,
>     id have to challenge this claim of spark length with a cap that small at
>7200v
>as the tank cap at low voltages tends to be big to make use of the large
>current.
>do you have any pics of this?
>i dont usually question anyone on there output but this seems houge for the
>size of tank cap
>id love it if it were true then we could all learn something from you!
>cheers
>colin

Hello All,

I may have accidentally started some trouble with my statement about low
voltage. I forgot that I was overdriving my transformer. I just ran the 240
V mains supply into one side of the low-voltage winding. Sure, it saturates
and makes all the lights flicker, but it got the length up! I think I was
making about 6 feet or so before I decided to overdrive it. The last time I
ran the coil, I ballasted it at about 35 A, and got the 10 foot streamers I
mentioned. Here is a list of specs from an old List email:

power supply: 7.2 kV 10 kVA pole transformer, 240 V 60 A circuit, contactor
actuated

ballast: MOT tansformer array

primary: 21 turns 1/4" copper (designed for experimentation), 1/4" spacing,
tapped at 11 (10 to 12 seem to have exactly the same performance)

cap: Geek  MMC, 0.041 uf 20 kV, 3 strings of 11

gap: variac controlled right angle grinder ASRG, 11000 rpm,  5 tungsten
flying electrodes, 1 or 2 gaps for BPS selection, plywood disk

secondary: 8.5" dwv pvc pipe, 19.5 gauge wire, 1400 turns, 50" winding length

topload: 3" corrugated black drain pipe/Aluminum tape corona shield,
one  4" x 25"  and one 7" x 60"corrugated pipe/tape toroid

extras: strike ring with inline 2" spark gap, 40 A emi filter

Gregory
--
"Without ZIM, I am lost."
GeekID#-1229