Streamer Voltage

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi All,

This has been bugging me for a while. Is the streamer voltage measured by
the combination of topload geometry plus streamer length, or just by
streamer length?  With my 4" coils, the 6" sphere had a breakdown voltage
of 571KV by Sd=((MV/7.5)*2)*100.  Sd=sphere dia in cm.  MV= voltage in
megavolts.  It's 18" streamer would come to 502.92KV at 1.1KV/mm.  If the
two add together it would make the total voltage 1MV+.  If it were just
streamer length the 502KV would not even produce corona on the sphere.  Or
could it be that, the voltage peaks enough to produce corona, and then
drops, as the streamer is formed.

David E Weiss