Re: OLTC II Initial calculations

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Steve,

In some tests, I pushed my 4.2" x 23" secondary to give 61" to
63" sparks at 120 bps.  There were occasional racing sparks
especially when giving 63" sparks.
A  6.5" x 24" secondary also gave racing sparks under the same
conditions.  The coupling was relatively loose at anywhere between
k = 0.08 to k = 0.10.  When I turned down the power to give 58"
sparks, then there were no racing sparks.  This coil had a tendency
to give racing sparks because once the secondary breaks down, it
breaks down more easily in the future.  I used a 6" x 26" ducting toroid.
The secondaries used 1500 to 1700 turns of 28awg wire.  I would make
the secondary at least 24" tall for 120 bps and a 58" spark length.

My guess is that your low resonant frequency will work fine.  But a
little higher frequency would let you use a little narrower secondary.

John