Re: Category II Mini Coil Contest

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Well, my transformer is a little 3kv/20ma Allanson NST that has had all of
the shunts removed. It should output about 45 to 65 milliamps. But with no
shunts, it will make the 5 minute run VERY scary. I might have to add some
kind of fan to cool it or something. Your spark length is absolutely
amazing for just your first coil and its input power. This mini coil is the
third I've built, and the first one I made gave about 9 inch sparks off of
3 times the power. (sad...) And my second coil works now, but it originally
blasted virtually every part that could be blasted. The mini coil origanlly
had a 4kv limited to 38ma, but it burnt that out too. So you are currently
doing better off than I am as far as that goes =D As far as micro coils go,
I recently bought a 5 inch tall including the tank components,
battery-powered coil from information unlimited to play around with.
<http://www.amazing1-dot-com/tesla.htm>http://www.amazing1-dot-com/tesla.htm
Just scroll down untill you see the "Micro Mini Mite" coil. It does pretty
well, about a half inch spark from the terminal. That little spark really
jolts you when you touch it with a piece of metal though. It is more
designed for wireless energy tricks, and lights up florescent tubes from a
respectable distance away. Not bad for running on only 12 watts!

Original poster: "Karl Lindheimer by way of Terry Fritz "

OK Chris,

What type of transformer are you running? Your 11.5 inches seems pretty
good. You may easily surpass my 'record'. This is my first coil ever, and
the very fact that it even works as it does amazes me. I built it after
studying the many TC pages on the net of which some were questionable. I
discovered the Pupman TC list two months after I finished my coil. Since
then I have uncovered many areas that could be improved, but I'll save that
for my next coil.

Has anyone on the list built a mini-mini-coil? Like the small ones schools
use by Science First? If you have, please share the details with us.

Regards,

Karl

-Chris