Re: Type I PVC (Grey) for high voltage use

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> >Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
>
> >Someone on the list mentioned using PVC as a suitable material for a
> >hotstick.  PVC can collect surface moisture if not treated.  HV tracking
> >across the untreated PVC could cost you your life when discharging a
> >powerful cap.  I would reconsider this material or apply 3-4 coats inside
> >and out of Glyptal or other suitable water resistant material.  It only
>has
> >to occur once to give you a "bad day".
> >
> >Dr. Resonance
> >
>I agree with not using PVC as a 'hotstick'. In my earlier days of 2 foot
>sparks I was using a 4 foot PVC with a short wire at the end to direct the
>sparks. I was starting to feel a prickle in my hand. Looking directly down
>the PVC tubing you could see the surface sparks travelling down the tube.
>About that time my digital watch stopped working as well.
>
>Now with 8 foot sparks, I wouldn't use the proverbial 50 ft bargepole.  I
>have however used an earthing stick made of PVC with the earth wire wrapped
>along the distal half of its length before it goes off to the RF ground
>http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren/Tesla_coil_sparks.htm  . There should
>be zero potential down the length of the stick however.
>
>Peter  'Tesla Downunder'

Hi all,

I am the one who mentioned using electrical grade gray PVC conduit
pipe as a hot stick for discharging my 10 kV, 200 uFD can crusher/
quarter shrinker capacitor switch. I agree surface tracking can be a
serious issue at really high voltages as Peter mentions with 2 ft. sparks
from (I assume) a Tesla coil. However, I am using my "hotstick" strickly
for +10 kVDC and not the high frequency currents of a Tesla resonantor.
My coil throws consistant 8 to 10 ft. sparks and I wouldn't imagine using
ANY smooth surfaced dielectric rod of ANY length to approach its out-
put. At 10 kVDC, there's barely the hint of even any corona.

David Rieben