Re: A triggered-s.g. 1-turn primary

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Marc & all-

It's a long way from being "in action".  But I have been noodling around
with an assembly scheme & I post the drawing at
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tspk13a.pdf.

As to coupling to the secondary, the secondary sits directly on the top
capacitors; it can't get much closer.

Referring to the drawing,

1.  The gaps are to be made from large brass cup-washers.  They're sized
for 1/4" screws but I'd use 10-32 flat-heads so that the screw-heads are
under-flush with respect to the washer rims.  Thus the sparks should run
between the (rounded) rims.

2.  Each gap is surrounded with a silicone-rubber-foam washer to exclude
oxygen while firing.  The gap spacings are maintained using dummy gaps on
either side.  The dummy gaps are spaced with non-conducting shims.

3.  The wedge-shaped thingies are cut from a pair of 0.04"-thick x
18"-diameter aluminum pizza trays.  The trays are very nicely made, not
expensive, and have a rolled, reinforced and bent-up rim.  Each
wedge-image represents two such wedges, one above the other & separated
by the gaps.

4.  The capacitors are arrayed in 6, 8-capacitor blocks, each capacitor
being 4.7 uF, 600 WV.  Alternate blocks are connected between pairs of
tray-wedges, first pair on top, second pair below, etc.  Connection is
via swaged brass eyelets (which I would use) or solder-lugs, either type
of item fastened to the wedges with internal-star phosphor-bronze
lock-washers.  I would trust the washers to provide for gas-tight
connections to the aluminum.

5.  All components are in one plane, of thickness no greater than 3 1/2"
or so--about 3 capacitor diameters or less.  The secondary sits directly
on that assembly.  There would be no problem with voltage stress since
the largest voltage with respect to ground in the primary is mains + 250
V or so.

6.  For tuning,  I would switch in & out some capacitors.  I find, from
simulation, that if I change one of the six "6C"s (of the posted
schematic) from 40 uF to 30 uF and then parallel that with 10 uF in
series with 1 ohm, I change Fr by about 7%.  A plain-vanilla toggle
switch can be used to short out, or not, that 1 ohm resistor.  Several
such arrangement would be used, to give perhaps 15% tuning range.  The 1
ohm resistor(s) will have no effect on capacitor charging & thus on
trigger timing.

All I need now is a) to hear of no insurmountable problem and b) the
inclination to do it.

Ken Herrick

On Thu, 01 May 2003 07:33:43 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
 > Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz
 > <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
 >
 > While i see where your going with this principle, I would like to
 > see a
 > magnetic profile while in action.
 >   i just don't see a strong  coupling to the secondary with this
 > unit?
 > Marc
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz
 > <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  > I take note of jimmy hynes/Terry Fritz's posting of 4/28 but
 > submit this
 >  > posting anyway, which I had been preparing.
 >  >
 >  > In another periodic retreat from solid-state exasperations, I
 > have come up
 >  > with a notional spark-gap design,
 >  >

<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tspk13s2.pdf>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/t