Re: High amperage in tank circuit

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

The voltage multiplier concept is simple.  Charge a bunch of capacitors in
parallel each to say 20 kV.  Now, using the diodes as switches, connect them
in series.  10 caps each charged to 20 kV connected in series produces 200
kV.  Very much like series batteries in large flashlights.  Potentials
connected in series add.

The resonance part is a bit more complex, but a mechanical analogy helps.

Image you're pushing a child on a swing with a very long supporting chain.
Each time the child comes by you add a bit of energy at a specific time by
giving him a push.  The max energy in the system depends on how many pushes
you have provided and the total friction of the system.  Theorectically,
with no friction, this value of mechanical energy would increase without
limit, however, friction produces a limit on the max energy stored in the
system.

Now image if you suddenly stood in the way of the swing and tried to catch
it.  You would be knocked over due to the very large amount of kinetic
energy suddenly changing into potential (static) energy --- and you
absorbing it all at once.

Electrical resonance is somewhat similar.  Potentials and currents can build
to high values limited by the electrical equivalent of friction:
resistance.  Timing is the secret to most resonant systems.  In TC's the
spark gap serves as both a switch and a timing device to help produce
resonance.

This isn't a perfect example but hopefully will give you some insight.  Get
a copy of the ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook from your local library and read
the sections of inductive reactance, capacitance reactance, and resonance.
It will give you clear explanations.  Also, a good high school physics book
will cover the ideas behind both mechanical and electrical resonance.  Look
for authors Halliday & Resnick --- they have a great beginning college
physics textbook with clear descriptions of resonance.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913