Re: Biggg Coil about ready for Spring firing.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Daniel

   Unfortunatly one of the requirements for larger Tesla Coils is a little
land and understanding neighbors, I am blessed to have both of these.

   The Biggg Coil was running around 33 kW last year using 2 distribution
transformers in series for 14 kV -at- 15 kVA.  The actual voltage out was a
little higher as the measured input voltage to the transformers was close
to 300 volts.  Power control is basicaly a stack of 1256 variacs for
inductive current limiting and the standard switching/monitoring system
capable of 200 amps.  High voltage is run underground to the Coil base as
well as control wiring.
   The secondary Coil is 10' x 2' with 6000 feet of #14 stranded THHN
wire.  An 8 foot toroid tops off the coil.  Performance as of last Fall
recorded the longest point to point spark of 26.5 feet to the corner of
the shop.  I do expect to pass this length this Spring with some new
distribution transformers capable of higher voltages.

   The Tesla Coil "hanger" is 10' x 10' x 20' and the Coil rolls out on a
pathway with its 8" wheels.  Complete ready time to operate is around 5
minutes.  The system is very stable in operation, just flip the switch
and run.  No racing sparks or other unwanted problems.

  Dave Wightman and myself are fortunate to have many different local
sources for pole pigs, variacs and other high power related equipment for
rock bottom prices.  It's almost like are Tesla Coils are meant to be :}

Kevin E

OTCB
(Oklahoma Tesla Coil Builders)