Re: safety gap size

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/28/03 1:45:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: "Christopher \"CajunCoiler\" Mayeux by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>
>
>I am nearly finished one of those "terry filters", and
>the only thing standing in my way, is setting the width
>of the safety gap.  Is there a set size to use? Or do
>we have a formula to figure it?
>
>Stats...
>NST: 15/30
>PFC: n/a
>MMC: .0053uf
>---
>Christopher 'CajunCoiler' Mayeux
>http://www.cajuncoiler.tk

Hi Christopher,
        The theoretical answer is critically dependent upon the macroscopic
and microscopic geometry of the gap and its day to day environmental
conditions. My method is to set it "just a hair or two" wider than the main
gap, and I haven't lost a coil since the early 60's.

Matt D.