RE: Why does my ammeter jump around when running my tesla coil?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Good question!  When using a static gap, the gap firing does not coincide
with the peaks of the mains waveform and the firing rate is not at all
related to the mains frequency.  The time interval from one bang to the
next may only be described as chaotic.  See
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/gapsim.htm for some simulated waveforms.  So
the number of bangs that occur in the span of one second will be different
than in some other one second interval.  This results in a fluctuating
average current reading over the course of time.  If you were using a
synchronous gap, each bang would be precisely identical and the current
reading would be stable.

Gary Lau
MA, USA