Re: Raised secondary problems

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Sounds more like a tuning problem, most likely related
to your choice of topload. (I'm not sure
a bicycle rim has enough surface area. Try a fat
mag wheel rim from a performance auto shop :) )

Coupling K factors of .1 to .2 usually work well,
and I can't see a few inches dramatically throwing the
coupling out of that range.

Try putting the primary at the same level as the
secondary's first bottom turn. If there is arcing
between the two, start removing inner turns from
the primary until it stops. There should be at
least an inch or so between the first primary turn and
base of the coil. (For a medium power tesla coil)
You'll also want to try and patch up any damage
that previous arcs might have created.

After that, start experienting with a larger
topload and adjust the primary tap.

http://www.classictesla-dot-com has a great
calculator that can predict what your
results might be.