Re: Over-coupled or under-insulated?

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I finally got around to testing the coil today. At the extreme raised
height, nothing went wrong. I lowered it back down to 2 inches above the
primary and it immediately sparked to itself. So as long as I keep it very
high above the primary, nothing goes wrong. (at least it didn't just burst
into flames)  Does keeping the secondary that far above the primary reduce
the performance? Would I be better off to wind a new secondary? I actually
have enough leftover pipe and wire left to redo it if I have to, but would
rather fix it instead of winding all of that wire again...

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz "

There is a very good chance that you have damaged the magnet wire insulation
with the paint thinner. It removes polyurethane and also the magnet wire
insulating coating.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you power it up again.

Dr. Resonance

-Chris

"The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that
lightning isn't distributed right." -Mark Twain

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein