Re: NST replacements

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

Sorry but I think you may be over optimistic here.

I live in the UK where the
EU "Waste Electrical and Electronic Directive"
will soon mean all "end of life" electrical and electronic devices will have
to be recycled
In practice this means that by law manufacturers are required to recycle
redundant appliances and retailers to collect them off the public for
disposal
-many, understandably, are not keen to do so.

While situation in other countries -such as the US- may be different, I
would not be surprised if similar legislation were soon to be passed there
also on the grounds of "environmental" protection.

I have seen but one NST in a rubbish skip several years ago
it was a large "Tunewell" probably the best make in the UK
I did not collect it however as I did not feel sufficiently experienced to
deal it at time -also, I hear they are heavy and I did not have private
transport.
This was a decision I made with some regret as since that day I have had to
make do with a Bosch ignition coil.

I have had the privilege of witnessing a shop clearance whre neon signs were
being dismantled (i.e. smashed)in preparation for a takeover. From what I
have seen, because brand-new transformers are so expensive the usual
practice of sign manufacturers is to keep some of newer transformers from
the old installation for incorporating into the new owner's signs; most of
the others will go to landfill where all that copper and steel will be
wasted. Otherwise or those new in-house recyclers under new government
directive
which make sure that no "hazardous waste" should ever become available to
the public
and who, incidentally are putting traditional scrapyards out of business-
under the "polluter pays" principle people have to pay for their old junk to
be collected
and consequently, town and country alike are now littered with old fridges
and freezers nobody wants any more.

Jolyon