RE: Input power measurement

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 19:11 09/03/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
>

>All -
>
>It should be noted that on Richie's web site below the example for the
>or
>400 KW.

The theory of resonant charging is more complex than it appears. A resonant
circuit could ring up to very high voltages/currents/reactive powers but in
practice the spark gap fires every half cycle and 'resets' it so it never
has a chance to ring up.

I used resonant charging for my first coil with a 10/25 NST. I used spice
simulations and calculated  that the tank cap would charge to 20kV peak and
the real power throughput would be about 200W. With LTR it was 14kV and
about 210W. Of course if the spark gap fails to fire reliably every
half-cycle (like mine did) then it's a different story and your NST will
soon blow up (like mine did again) I now run DC resonant charging which is
much more predictable.

Steve C.