Re: Input power measurement

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I am using a LTR cap on my coil. I
> >remember hearing (this may or may not be true) that an LTR cap "pulls"
> >more energy out of the transformer. If this is true, then that's probably
> >the reason for my coil. It might be the along same lines for your
> >transformer. Either that, or the NST might have had some shunts removed.
> >Is there any way you could measure the output of the NST?

An LTR cap can pull more than rated power out of certain NST's and
a resonant value cap can do the same thing.  Much depends on
the particular NST and the LTR value.  Using 140 volts input instead
of 120 volts will also cause more power to be drawn.  In some
combos of NST and LTR value, with a SRSG, the coil may run in
a so-called "reversal mode", in which the VA draw will be
exceptionally high.

John