RE: Need Volunteers to check Artwork - VTTC Staccato Controller

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Dan and Jan,

I use almost daily Mentor schematic capture (Design Architect) and their
PCB design tool (Layout). They are very versatile tools, as well as
complicated. You are rarely left at 98% of work done with no way to
implement the 2% left (i.e. an exotic pad type, special routing, etc.).
Instead, that can be easily the situation with cheeper tools.

Mentor is no quick-and-dirty. Better to call it slow-and-secure.

But...Many PCB designers like to take shortcuts ignoring the PCB tool
warnings (traces get colored in yellow, unrouted in green). Now, if you
accept to see warnings as part of your normal design, you will likely
miss to recognize "true" warnings and manufacture a faulty board.

It is typical to:
- forget VCC and GND connections
- have very thin cuts between pad and trace (i.e. no connection)
- rotate 180 degree connectors
- forget termal pads
- leave some fill area not-updated, thus failing to fulfill clearance
requirements.
- reverse bus bit numbering from sheet to sheet
- have unconnected signals between sheets due to signal name typos

So, don't take shortcuts and you'll get safely there were you're going.

Regards

and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you.
Tellabs