Re: short question (about Faraday Cage)

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>Given that the energy is dissipated in the walls or the

>lights how about thumb rules or experience rules or

>engineering/math for calculation and design?

         In what regard?
         As noted, the power levels are low.
         The Usual concern is keeping the RF in, there
         are well known rules, typically, no
         single longest dimension of an opening should be
         greater than 1/10 wavelength.

>Is this a build it and see what happens?

         What is the objective?

>Is the energy input to the coil with associated physical

>parameters lead one to know power available for lights and

>dissipation in resistivity and induction in the walls?

         All the power not used by the lights ends up in
         the walls.  (excluding losses inherent in the
         coil PSU.)

>Does the energy absorbed by a flourescent 40 watter tube

>mainly exist for filament heating?

         The rating is for operation after the filament
         turns off.  (put another way: filament power does
         not count.)  Some fluorescents have no filaments,
         anyway.

>How much in the actual excitation to produce the UV that excites
>the powder?

         all of the 40W.
         electrical to UV is less than 100% efficient.
         UV to visible, via the tube lining is less than 100%.
         I seem to recall 30% as a fair estimate for electric
         in to visible out.  HAven't checked.

>Is the UV from the valence electrons of the Ar?

         What Ar?
         UV comes from valence electrons of Hg vapour
         dropping back to ground state.

>Will yall (yes he's in Georgia) direct me toward heavy FAQs

>and online sources and direct to me by email to rapid boot

>my knowledge up?

         About what?
         Fluorescent lights?
         Faraday Cages?
         Tesla coils?

>"davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>>>I am knew so some patience please:
>>>What happens when you put a tesla coil in a Faraday Cage?

>>          If the cage is big enough, it runs normally.

>WHAT IS BIG ENOUGH?

         Hard to answer.  Refer to other answers re
         top loading/stray capacity.
         Depends on desired mode of coil operation...

>>>Where does the energy go?
>>         Lost in resistive losses in the cage walls.

>Calculation or observation?

         basic, well known, physics.

>>>What happens to flourescent lights in the cage?
>>          Depending on exact position, they may light.

>What defines depends?

         Many things.
         Ferinstance if lamp tube is too close to the
         wall, may not be enough e field.
         Orientation of lamp.
         best
         dwp