Re: Need Volunteers to check Artwork - VTTC Staccato Controller

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > Not true at all.  At lockheed martin, where we are supposed to have the most
 > sophisticated PCB design systems (Unix MENTOR), multiple layers of checking
 > and signatures, etc...
 > we have still not in the history of our company made a PCB board that was
 > right the first time.  There is always some trace that shouldn't be there,
 > or a trace which isn't connected,
 > etc...  It still blows my mind that even when all the Error Rules and design
 > guidelines are set-up, that the computer still manages to put two high
 > voltage traces too close to one another
 > (even though they were previously defined in the design rules) etc...

No offense meant but I was under the impression Mentor Graphics made
the best EDA high quality software! ;-) I certainly would expect it to
cope with a simple two-layer board with only a handful of logic
components and a single supply rail.

Of course, it's possible that it is just a matter of time till my or
my electronics clubs' next Eagle test board _will_ blow up. Time will
tell...

Doing manual routing right from start and using the built-in
consistency checker can take less time than triple-checking whether one
correctly double-checked the pcb<->schem consistency, IME. Or just quickly
etch out a test board in ~10 mins and see how it works - not a real effort
with smaller scale designs.

Ok good luck with the board! The layout looks good, and the schematics
nice and well-working, especially with those nice extra features and all! :)

Happy coiling!

cheers,

  - jfw

--