Re: Stereo amplifier

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

Matt,

To my knowledge almost all solid state audio amplifiers have a low-pass
filter on the output limiting the output above 20kHz.  The -3dB point is
generally higher, perhaps around 50kHz.  Also, even in "decent" amplifiers,
the gain of the amplifier is fairly low at RF frequencies.  Add in some
cheap output transistors that have a bandwidth of only a few 100 kHz to a
MHz, and you have a recipe for blown fuses or worse - magic smoke.

I suppose you could remove the low-pass filter (parallel RL) and the Zobel
Network (shunt RC) on the speaker terminals, but the amplifier would
probably start oscillating, leading to increased operating temperature and
premature failure.  Some amplifiers also have a low-pass filter on the
input which would likely need defeating as well.

As Terry suggested, I wouldn't subject my Denon to the torture.  However,
HarmonKardon amplifiers have a "Wide Bandwidth" up to about 100kHz
(according to their published specs), and would probably be more tolerant
than some other amplifiers.

Good luck!

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group