Re: quick mmc cap. question

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

>Almost "too good"??  I "think" I did things right so I am guessing CD has
>a new low ESR trick.

Is it possible for them to be "too good?"

>>>Yes!!  Perhaps these caps have more surface area or something.  They
>>>seem to have VERY low ESR!!  Maybe CD figured something out.
>>
>>Yes, and I wonder if maybe the .15uF caps have been improved, too?
>>Should we send you another sample or three of the bigger ones, perhaps?
>
>I really only need 'one'.  I am getting better at not destroying them now ;-))

Expect one in the mail in a couple days.

A hi-pot test on both caps would be cool.  Do you have the ability to
perform di/dt or dV/dt tests?

>The generator does 350kHz, 900 watts forward, 250 watts reflected power
>into 50 ohms.  Extreme accuracy.  I just have to present a load to the
>generator where it does the most current and measure the temperature
>rise.  It is all in the trick of feeding the generator with an RF load it
>likes with the cap in series.  Here is a big pic with labels.
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P3020007a.jpg

I had figured the test was simply connecting the cap to the power supply
and cranking up the juice!  Guess I was a little off on that!

Thanks again for all your testing,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group