Re: Is this capacitor okay ? ? ?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>I'm looking for a capacitor to use with my MOT powered (2400VAC) dual 833A
>VTTC and was wondering what your thought were on the following capacitor?
>http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2513287005&category=4662
>Its a 30xxxx series 15kv, 5uF capacitor.
>It would be used in conjuction with a bridge rectifier to provide high
>voltage DC to my VTTC for audio modulation.
>Thanks
>
>.

Dan,

Generally, you wouldn't use a DC Pulse Capacitor in a DC filtering
application, since pulse capacitors are not designed for use in extended
steady state DC applications. Internally, high voltage pulse caps (over 5
kV) are constructed by connecting identical rolls in series/parallel so
that any given roll never sees more than 3-5 kV across its dielectric.
Pulse caps use no internal DC voltage balancing resistors across the
capacitor rolls. Instead, they are designed to be charged and discharged
rapidly, with a minimum time under full voltage. This assures that the
applied voltage will be evenly distributed across the individual capacitor
rolls in the chain, since the rolls have nearly identical capacitance.

Under an extended DC voltage, differences in the leakage resistance of
individual rolls will lead to the highest voltage stress appearing across
the best (least leaky) roll in the chain. This leads to overvolting of the
best roll(s) in the chain. Once the overvolted dielectric fails in one
roll, the higher voltage stress on the remaining rolls often causes a
cascading failure of the next best roll, then the next, and so on - and
spectacular failure of the entire capacitor.

Now the good news:
Since your application will operate the capacitor at a comparatively small
fraction of its rated voltage (15 kV), this pulse cap should work fine in
your particular application. Even better, since your application will have
a significant amount of ripple current, this should also help equalize the
internal voltage distribution between rolls. I'd go for it!

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Out-of-Print Physics and Engineering Books and
coins shrunk by ultrastrong electromagnetic fields!