Re: Mini OLTC is working!

Hi Steve,

WOW COOL!!!

I am happy to see you driving the IGBTs with like 30 volts.  They like that
;-))  That may be over spec but running Ic at like 750 amps peak is over
spec too :o)))  At about 50 volts the gates really will blow out, but but
beyond that hard limit, party hardy!!

Your use of smaller coils to overcome some of the problems with my big coil
is especially interesting as is you transformer coupling technique to
enforce current sharing of the IGBTs.  Major interesting things there!!

As you found. Winding the secondary of OLTCs is a pain ;-))  Programs like
FANTC help us get pretty close the first time.

I am happy to see you got great results and innovated on some things and
your's did not blow up either ;-))  OLTC's seem pretty darn tough.  I think
because we us conventional components pretty much like they are supposed to
be over stressed ;-))

I am also happy to see a nice high resonate frequency!!  36kHz like mine is
pretty hard to deal with.  But 120kHz is right up in the "normal" zone for
Tesla coils.

I wonder if your OLTC could be adapted to a simple PC board Tesla coil
design.  Just a PC board with normal components plugged into the wall and
the coil to make a nice little TC without the usual high voltage
hassels.  It would be cool to have a nice little TC design that was pretty
conventional and CE mark friendly that would also be adaptable to be made
by the "mass produced PC board electronic stuff" techniques.

I am a "little behind" on my many projects, but this is a very exciting
development!!

Cheers,

         Terry