Re: TC triggered high energy discharge

Hi Jim,

It helps if the capacitor is charged to as high of voltage as possible so
it can have a pretty good arc length initially (maybe six
inches).   Suppose we charge our plates to +50kV and -50kV.  Probably fat
terminals would do fine.

I think you want a inductor in the cap discharge circuit to limit the
current to some known enormous value so the cap works more than once. ;-)

So my idea is to isolate the top terminal with say a 100pF 300kV capacitor.
We still get nice top voltages but the top terminal will be ignored buy the
capacitor discharge currents since the capacitor basically ground isolates
it.  It would work much like a triggered gap.  It would arc to one plate
first and the top cap would be charged to the first plate's voltage, then
that streamer would die and it would look for the other plate with the top
terminal having a 50kV offset voltage now (100kV different from the other
plate now).  It will find the other plate pretty fast and the residual
charge from the first plate streamer should be enough to flash the whole
mess over. ;-))

So you just really need a good isolation capacitor in the Tesla coil's top
terminal.  Just a block of high dielectric constant plastic with a tungsten
plate on top would probably do it.  It would take some HV design work to
get all the dimensions and safety factors right, but once it is going
reliably, it should run forever without a thought.  If it had say a 60Hz
flash rate at 50kJ per flash.  You could pump 3MW into it.  I am sure that
would be good for something :o)))  Take a moment to imagine what a terrible
machine it would be =:O   3MW, 60HZ, 4 foot discharge, running for a few
hours...  I bet the neighbors would call the cops :o))  The noise the thing
could make would probably be lethal at close range...

Cheers,

         Terry