communications rates was Re: Differential voltage probes 3

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 8:45 AM
Subject: RE: Differential voltage probes 3

 > Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

 > At 20:30 28/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
 >
 > >Terry, I predict that just as we now have audio TC transmission we will
 > >have future video TC transmission with this new found wide bandwidth.  It
 > >only takes 6-8 Mhz bandwidth for video.
 >
 > Sorry, but transmitting 6 MHz bandwidth on a carrier of a few hundred kHz
 > is forbidden by communications theory.

Not true...
- Communications theory (if you're referring to the Shannon law) only
provides a limit on the amount of information you can get through a channel,
and doesn't constrain the bandwidth required for the information, other than
setting a minimum Signal to Noise ratio.
- Transmitted bandwidth doesn't necessarily follow the bandwidth of the
modulating signal.  Take FM broadcast band, modulation bandwidth is on the
order of 20 kHz, and the signal is >100 kHz wide.  Or, AM broadcast, where
the modulation is some 5-8 kHz, and the transmitted signal is 15 kHz wide
(being DSB).
- Baseband video (like comes out of the VCR) is 6 MHz wide, at a carrier
frequency of ZERO.

One can certainly transmit very high rate digital signals in a fairly narrow
bandwidth, IF you have enough power.  HDTV is some 20 Mbps in a 6 MHz wide
channel. 56k modems are doing 56 kbps in a 3 kHz channel.

To make it work you'd need to