piezoelectric effect

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

piezoelectric effect

Hi guy’s
You all know the electric space heaters (all you in the north anyway). So I
had one in my cellar.. ahh um… I mean tesla lab. It was a tall floor model
with 2 heating elements.
It broke and was chucked. I was intrigued by the long glass like rods that
housed the filaments.

I love “zap it and see what happens” um…research, so I tore into them with
my 15/30 3.5*24” coil. As the sparks shot over the long glassy rods to the
ground target they snapped and cracked and little bits hoped and snapped
into the air. WOW! COOL! The sparks on the rods were brilliant white and
sharp to look at. The bright white sparks acted like a strobe and I could
see the little particles suspended for an instant. The rods were left
cracked and crumbly.
Made me think of the piezoelectric effect.
If the glasslike rods were quarts then it might apply. The coil HV might be
forcing  the quarts to change shape causing it to brake up under the pressure.

Has anyone zapped quarts before? What happens?

If in doubt zap it and see what happens!
Good luck to you all
Read you later
Josh

http://join.msn-dot-com/?page=features/junkmail