Re: Why pole pigs are rare in Europe

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-h-at-c.dk>

Guys, a few comments from Europe:

Not to forget that we have 3-phase service to every house as a rule
rather than an exception. :-)

snip
 > Original poster: "Ben McMillen
 >
 > I thought the idea of HV distribution was to reduce line
 > loss? It would seem to me that LV distribution at 220v
 > would introduce quite a bit of resistive line loss..
 > especially for higher current services..
 >
 > Coiling In Pittsburgh
 > Ben McMillen

snip
This is true, you don`t get very far with 220 volts, however there is
the notion of safety: To someone like myself, being used to the 20kV
lines stopping a safe distance fron town, it makes a shiver down my
spine when I see pictures of HV lines crossing residential areas.
Remember the crap movie "Rain"

Original poster: "Crow Leader

snip

 > This is true, but they also like 50Hz in Europe, to make sure they have
 > bigger, slower motors and transformers than places with 60Hz.

KEN

Another correct observation, but look at it this way: at 60Hz, a half
period is 8.33mS, hard to handle during mental calculations, we got 10mS
for a noce, clean interface with the metric system.

This much said, I envy you guys your pole pigs and your Maxwell pulse
capacitors.

Cheers, Finn Hammer