Hyperbaric/ RQ gaps for high power / was: History Channel

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/25/03 9:59:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Charles Brush wrote:

>So who else watched?  The lighting program was interesting and had some
>nice footage of Danny Greenhouse's large coil among other things.

Charles, all,

Yes, I did see Mr. Greenhouse's big coil with him drawing the
big sparks to himself (which we are told over and over to not
do, by the pros :^) Anyway, I noticed that it also showed what
looked like a stationary RQ type of SG firing and since this is
obviously a large, high powered piggy powered coil, I was won-
dering how pratical a stationary sucker or hyberbaric type gap
would be for a big coil if the components were proportionately
large enough to disapate the generated heat? I have currently
dismantled my ASRG mainly due to its inferior construction
(all brass electrodes and two lexan -not G-10 or garolite rotors
and no access to a machine shop) and I was pondering whether
to spring for a professionally machined SRSG or ASRG (which
I currently can't afford) or to build a big RQ type gap with an electric
leaf blower or something similar for the forced-air.

            BTW, the old ARSG was still functional and would
push 8 to 10 ft. sparks from my 10 kVA pig powered coil while
drawing approximately 6 to 7 kVA before I dismantled it, but it was
too wobbly and sometimes the stationary and rotory electrodes
would "bump" while the rotor was winding down after turning off the
RSG. I was also afraid that the lexan would eventually self -destruct
since one of the rotor disc already had a visible crack at one of the
rotory electrodes. Any comments are welcome :^)

David Rieben