RE: DRSSTC -- EMI scope problems

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Steve,

The scope wouldn't trigger on the noise, which is more
evidence that the magnetic field from the primary
directly steers the beam.

I read about the impedence matching thing, and built a
100x probe with the TV cable. It looks like it works
better than the other probes :-)

  I now get to look at the microprocessor level. It has
absolutely no 60khz on it, but has high frequency
"chirps" at every half cycle, adding a choke had
absolutly no effect on it. I am not sure what this is
coming from, because it seems like it would be hard
for high frequency junk to get in, because I put an RC
filter in with 33 ohms, and 1000uf (plus a 10uf
ceramic). The wires coming from the power supply are
also twisted pretty well. Whatever it is, I don't
think its a problem.

The voltage across the IGBT brick may be a problem
though. It looks like a 60 khz sinewave that goes from
0 to twice the normal voltage. I can tell by the shape
that it is not a resistance problem, it is either an
inductance problem, or a scope problem. For the
inductance to be causing the problem, the reactance
must be about .67 ohms (20 volt sinewave, 30 amps). At
52 khz ( I think thats the real switching freq. right
now), it takes a three foot diameter turn to get
enough inductance. There is no way I have that much
area, I twisted my wires pretty well. The scope probes
checked out OK on the micro, but I hope they have a
problem here. Again, adding a choke didn't help. I
think my choke might add too little inductance. The
coax just passes through, and the thing was just taken
from a video camera. Maybe I should wind my own wit
~10 turns?

=====
Jimmy

_