RE: Listening to TC?

Original poster: "Daniel Kline by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel_kline-at-med.unc.edu>

 > > > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > ><Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>
 > > >
 > > > Hi All,
 > > >
 > > >         We all know that spark gaps and streamers make some
 > pretty awesome
 > > > sounds, but what about "ultrasounds"? These would be sounds
 > from 15KHz on
 > > > up to the resonant frequency of the coil. This question is
 > prompted by the
 > > > following: Last night, a bat got into the instrument/people
 > section of the
 > > > lab. (The TC section is inside a grounded 10ftx10ftx8ft
 > cage). With the
 > > > coil running, the bat ran into the wall the way a bird or
 > insect will beat
 > > > against a window trying to get out. I turned off the coil and it
 > > > immediately turned around and flew back out the door which
 > was only open
 > > > about 5 inches.  Makes me think maybe the coil was making
 > sonar-jamming
 > > > noises. Of course, it could be pure coincidence.

Let's see...

I'm a bat and I fly into a room full of lightning and ozone. I panic. My
mind's blown. I'm flying randomly anywhere I can to try and get away from
wherever's happening. I'm beating my head against the wall just trying to
make sense of the chaos into which I've just flown. "Aaaggghhh!"

Suddenly, everything's quiet. I sense an opening, zoom over to it, and I get
out of there fast. "What *was* that?" I'm asking myself. "Did I just have a
mental breakdown?"
"It was was so noisy I couldn't even hear my own sonar!", etc.

I think the Tesla coil probably jammed the bat's entire brain and distorted
its entire perception of reality ;) It's probably attending bat-therapy
*right now* ;)
Dan K.