Re: Hyperbaric Gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dgoodfellow-at-highstream-dot-net>

It would stand to reason that a gap with forced air (higher pressure) may
quench better than a gap where air is rushing in under reduced pressure. In
my early automotive days, the senior mechanic described to me that if the
piston compression in a gas engine were raised excessively, the pressure
raised during the compression stroke would blow the spark out. He further
stated that he had seen a demonstration where a spark plug was set up in a
variable pressure chamber, and was visible through thick glass, or plexi or
something. He stated that the demonstration showed a spark plug firing
continuously, under normal pressures. As the pressure was increased beyond
the 180lbs per square inch typical in a gas engines, the spark extinguished.
He told me that this was one of the factors that limits the maximum
compression in gas engines.

We all know that sparks can travel further in reduced air pressure, such as
at high altitudes. Based on this, I would bet a gap that has x amount of air
blowing through, will quench better than the same gap that sucks the very
same amount of air, through identical gapeture. Of course, the gap could
always be adjusted to compensate.

Dave G.