Re: TC-safety

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

Tesla list writes:
>Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>
>Hello everybody.
>After my first 7 month of coiling I always thought I did read a lot about
>safety before I started and sofar everything worked out well without the
>need of an amulance or even worse ;-)
>Last week my former physics teacher joined me to have a look at my 5KVA
>maggie ( only 4 feet output currently, I am 10 feet away ). The room is 10
>feet X 30feet. Two day later he called me quite late in the evening and
>said that everything I was doing was way to dangerous for two reasons:
>1.: My MOT under oil could produce dioxine for any reason.....? why should
>it? Is stays cold and there is now arcing under the oil... am I wrong?

Well, oil cooled power transformers do make furans which are somehow
related to dioxins. For this to happen, you need lots of paper and oil
which microwave oven transformers don't have and los of time and heat,
again which you don't have. So, in your case, burning a plastic milk jug
outside will probably make more furans than you will ever get with your
transformer. Take a look at this pretty chart:
http://www.morganschaffer-dot-com/lab/furan.html
As far as it being something to worry about, it sounds laughable. We don't
live in a steriel world, there is "poison" everwhere.
>2.: I have to do my coiling indoors and the room has carpet on the floor.
>during summer the humidity can get pretty high ( not really tropical ). He
>said that streamers could travel through the carpet to the walls of the
>room and by that current would flow through my body....

I hear the streamers could travel through the ground into to earth and into
magma and into a volcano, which will make an earthquake and knock over your
house, but that's just what I hear.
Here too you have to judge for yourself if "currents flowing in your body"
are dangerous or not. If you have an AM radio that can pick up a station,
you've got currently flowing in your body as well, since you are just a big
walking antenna yourself.
KEN