Re: Impulse Tesla Coil...

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Bunnykiller by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

 > Hi All...
 >
 > went to a friends house the other day and he had an old defibulator that he
 > had hooked up a 3 turn coil to to do some can crushing...
 >
 > any way he had an old secondary sitting on the shelf  and  HEY what happens
 > if you place the 3 turn primary at the base of a 1200 turn secondary   (
 > mind you now the voltage in the defibulator discharge is approx 7000 VDC -at-
 > 400J -at- max setting)
 >
 > first off we placed the 2 ends of the secondary wires to within 3/4 " of
 > each other and fired off the defibulator....  nice spark between the
 > wires.  We moved the wires a bit further apart and tried it again... once
 > more  nice spark with a quite a bit more noise..
 >
 > ONE MORE TIME  :)    charged ready fire...  oooops  there goes the hi volt
 > contact...  very nasty,  smoke, sulphur smell ( hmmm sulphur hexa-floride??
 > ) all the surrounding aluminum in the vacinity of the excaping gas had
 > turned purple... any of you chemistry guys know why it turned purple???
 >
 > well any way we didnt get a chance to test with a toroid...   hopefully we
 > can find a replacement switch and try it ...
 >
 > Scot D

	You didn't say exactly what failed.  If the machine used electrolytic
capacitors for energy storage you might have destroyed them by
connecting the primary coil across them as that would have resulted in
high reverse voltage during the ringdown.

Ed