Re: Un-potting NST?

Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mike.Novak-at-mchsi-dot-com>

The one part of coiling that I absolutely HATE... unpotting transformers.
However, I seem to be doing more and more these days :-/

I'm working on a franceformer 15/30 right now and I must mention that
franceformers are really the only transformer I would personally consider
unpotting. Allansons have like 2/3 - 3/4 the core area and are marginally
constructed. Franceformers,. however, are much more fun to modify and
"overclock", IMO.

After soaking, the transformer will pry apart with a little hesistation once
the bolts are out of the way.
If you really want to get the parts clean, try using disposable tupperware
to finish the individual parts, each with a bed of screen or something
keeping it a good 1/4 inch or more from the bottom of the container (alot of
tar just settles on the bottom.

Did you mention what kind of solvent you are using?
I've often heard that kerosene is best but I've found it to be almost the
worst. From worst to best I've tried: paint thinner, kerosene, gasoline.
Although paint thinner does make a good finish solvent to displace the nasty
smell of gas.

Does anyone know how to keep the small amounts of remaing tar out of the
transformer oil when everything's said and done? I once unpotted a 12/60 and
the xformer oil turned a nasty brown/amber color because of the tar hiding
in the cracks in the insulation.

Nice suggestion Steve, BTW. lol

If anyone wants to hear horror stories about unpotting, I've had more
trouble with the 4 NSTs I've done than most people have in their entire
lives :-( hehe

Mike