Re: Multi-Mini Transformers

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 21:34 19/06/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>
>
>Has anyone on the List ever used a "multi-mini transformer" approach to
>implementing a high-voltage power supply for TC use?
>

>But looking at this again it appears there may a problem with the
>interwinding/ core insulation
>which may be insufficient to withstand the high voltages involved; for
>with a (non-grounded) voltage of 9600V on the secondary and 240V on the primary
>the interwinding insulation on the transformers nearest to the ends of of
>the "stack" would be stressed by a maximum of (9600-240)/2 =4680 volts.
>Are mains transformers likely to be rated to withstand this?

I just got out my Rapid Electronics catalogue and it lists a whole bunch of
mini transformers from 1.5VA to 30VA, all vacuum potted in epoxy and
claiming 5kV primary/secondary isolation. Therefore you could generate up
to 10kV centre tapped, if you had the time/money/patience to wire up 42 of
these little dudes in series :) Using the 3.3VA units, you would get about
12mA output. And the transformers cost 3.74 GBP each plus VAT in 40
quantities. Hardly seems worth it since you could buy a brand new NST for
the same money :(

On the other hand, if you were to make a DC supply, you could put a voltage
doubler on the secondary of each transformer (as Jim Lux suggested) and get
2*sqrt(2) times the bang per buck. Then you could use DC resonant charging
to double the voltage again. Hence you could get a 10kV charging voltage
from 8 transformers, which is a bit more attractive. By centre tapping the
output, all transformers would be safely within their isolation ratings.

Since we only need 8, we could go for a bigger transformer, like the 30VA
12+12V: 240V unit costing 9.50 GBP. 8 of these would give at least 240
watts output continuous and could probably be pushed to at least twice that
on short duty. You would connect all the 12V windings in series and hook
them to the 240V line.

This would make a pretty mean tabletop coil <evil cackle> but again by the
time you have bought 8 trannies, 16 450V electrolytic caps, 16 diodes, and
two charging chokes, you'll have spent more than 100 GBP and got about the
power of a 12/30 NST.

Or you could try the little 3.3VA 24+24V:240V units, at 4.15 GBP each. An
ignition coil would make a perfect charging choke for a little setup like
this. We are talking bug zapper power though.

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/

Steve C.