Re: NST toastmaster

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "WIZZARD . by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<pbobyk-at-hotmail-dot-com>

 > Now that I have damaged a few NST's I am being quite cautious.
 > I have seen claims that a NST should last 50 years and other claims of
 > seven dead before switching to PT or Pig. BTW the Terry filter works great,
 > when it is constructed properly:-)
 >
 > I can only run my coil for 5 minutes before the outside of the NST becomes
 > uncomfortably warm.
 > 15Kv/30mA. Is there a recommended duty cycle for using these?
 >
 > Dwight, Ontario
 > Canada

	Have you measured the line current?  Sounds as if you are working near
resonance and drawing a lot more secondary current than you think.  With
that, of course, goes the possibility of destructive voltage is you open
your gap too far.

Ed