Re: Triac as gap replacement

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Response to Steve and also Rick W:

The turning-off between half-cycles I wouldn't care about since I'd just
want the triacs to stay on during each 120/s damped-wave primary event.
But the di/dt limit seems to be the sticker.  Simulation shows me that,
in my circuit, the di/dt of the first 1/8 cycle (of ~125 KHz) would be
about 2500 A/us.

The extra few volts forward drop of a triac would also be significant
since the rms current would be 20 A or so; an extra volt would mean an
extra 20 W to dissipate.

I do like the notion of triacs (or SCRs) since once they're on, they stay
on.  But I suppose I'll have to give up on them.  I note that the IXYS
VCO132 SCR module, having an Itsm rating of over 3 KA, has a di/dt rating
of only 150 A/us repetitive.  (sigh...)

As to IGBTs...

As I've mentioned previously, I've developed a Marx-like primary circuit.
  Currently (only in simulation), it charges 8 capacitors in parallel from
the mains & discharges them in series, into the primary inductance, via 8
spark gaps.  Because of the way I connect the charging inductors, 160 V
peak mains voltage yields over 600 V capacitor-charge every 1/120 second;
and that yields, from the 8 in series, 4800 V to be applied to the
primary inductance.  That's not too shabby but to realize it I need to
charge the capacitors with the alternating mains-polarity & thus would
need back-to-back transistor circuits to replace each of the 8 spark
gaps.

It seems as if such transistor arrays would end up vastly more expensive
& complicated than spark gaps.  And as to expensive & complicated
transistor arrays..I've been there, I've done that & I am burned out on
it (along with all the late-lamented MOSFETs and IGBTs).

So much, I think, for s.s. gap-replacers.

Ken Herrick